Skip to main content

Islamic Geometric Art


It's been ages since I've posted here.  I love the concept of this blog being a record of the arts and crafts my boys do but as they get older we haven't been doing much.  Recently, Bilal had a project for Islamic Heritage Month.  The project was very open ended and he was to explore Islamic Arts.  We settled on geometric designs that could be found on Masjids.  We both have been trying to draw different geometric designs using YouTube videos.  The above is done by Bilal.



This is the original work that he did all by himself.  We used tracing paper and a spoon to transfer to paper and then tried to do tessellations.  The symmetry was a bit off but it looks really good for a first try.  He had minimal help from me.  Mostly, I helped him outline the final design and guided him when doing the tesselations.  We had some advice from our favourite artist, Naseeba of IllustratingNK.  Bilal and I have been loving the geometric art so I ordered a book recommended by Naseeba and can't wait to learn more!

The design above is based on the great Mosque of Cordoba.  We followed the YouTube video from Arabic Islamic Art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Stick Fish

I saw this craft in Easy Fun Crafts with Everyday Items .  I have a bunch of craft sticks and it looked very simple.  In the book they used bigger sticks...mine were the size of Popsicle stick.  I didn't have enough of one colour so I mixed it up.  I let Hasan pick the colours.  We glued a couple of magnets on the back and Hasan gave it to his Nani (maternal grandmother).

Toilet Paper Roll Octopus

I saw this craft a long time ago and thought it would be good to do with Hasan.  It's pretty simple and I've seen it on numerous websites .  The hardest thing for Hasan was waiting for the paint to dry.  We completed it in two days because Bilal woke up early from his nap after Hasan was done painting.

Toilet Paper Roll Snowman

Another snowman craft made my Hasan.  I saw this idea on  Crafts By Amanda .  She also made children out of toilet paper rolls as well.  They looked so cute I had to get Hasan to make one of them.  I love her idea of how to make the earmuffs...very creative!  This was the first time Hasan used the hot glue gun.  Everything dried very quickly.  We didn't paint the toilet paper roll because I wanted to finish this craft in one sitting.