Skip to main content

Tissue Paper Flowers


It's been a long time since I posted anything on this blog.  I've had a few posts to do but just never got around to doing them.  I had Hasan make these flowers for my mom on Mother's Day.  I had taken Bilal to the library one day and they had a program going on.  One of the crafts they were making were these flowers.  It was hard to get Bilal interested in it but I knew it was something perfect for Hasan to make.  They are very simple to make.




I had some tissue paper streamers and I had Hasan cut out squares out of that.  I gave him a pipe cleaner and had him push the pipe cleaner through the centre of the tissue.  He repeated this with a few more squares and the last one he used a piece of yellow tissue.  I twisted the small bit of pipe cleaner popping through the top into a circle to make a "bud".  Then I had him squeeze it in his hand.


So that made it a flower type shape.  The "stem" seemed too long so Hasan folded it in half and twisted it.


He made four flowers of different colours.  Then at the end he twisted all the stems together to make a bouquet.  His Nani loved the flowers!


Materials Needed:
Small squares of tissue paper of various colours
Pipe cleaners for the stem (one per flower)
Scissors

How To:
Cut out small squares of tissue paper using scissors.  Push pipe cleaner through center of one square of tissue.  Do this several times.  End with a yellow piece of tissue.  Twist the small piece of pipe cleaner poking out the top into a bud.

Gather the tissue paper together and squeeze in fist.  When you open your hand you can spread the "petals" out a bit.  Fold the pipe cleaner/stem in half and twist.  Repeat for however many flowers you would like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Stick Fish

I saw this craft in Easy Fun Crafts with Everyday Items .  I have a bunch of craft sticks and it looked very simple.  In the book they used bigger sticks...mine were the size of Popsicle stick.  I didn't have enough of one colour so I mixed it up.  I let Hasan pick the colours.  We glued a couple of magnets on the back and Hasan gave it to his Nani (maternal grandmother).

Styrofoam Pounding

It's been a long time since I posted anything on this blog.  Things over at  Chocolate & Chillies have been keeping me busy.  I wanted to share with you this activity I did with my boys.  A while ago my friend was visiting from Louisiana and she had her kids doing this activity. It's very simple and kids love it.  It is kids banging golf tees into a piece of styrofoam.  I wouldn't do this with a large group of kids because it can get dangerous.  I had trouble pulling out some of the pounded in golf tees.

Styrofoam Jellyfish

I saw this craft on Crafts by Amanda .  Hasan made the ones pictured above and although they don't look as good as the ones Amanda made, he had a lot of fun making them which is the goal of any activity we do.  In the original craft you are supposed to paint the styrofoam half which would look really good.  I didn't do that because then I would have the boys start the craft and then have to make them wait for the paint to dry before they could continue.  I wanted to complete this craft in one sitting.  I was also lazy to get the googly eyes so Hasan just drew them on with a marker.  Bilal had a hard time with this craft and in the end just played with the pipe cleaners.